July 14, 2020
DTU has entered discussions with DCPS regarding the safe re-opening of schools. DTU will continue to raise questions and concerns submitted by members regarding the reopening of schools and the health and safety of employees and students. While it is our goal to resolve as many issues as possible, Federal and State mandates must also be considered. We will keep you abreast of Memorandums of Understanding (MOU’s) and other decisions as they are agreed to throughout the re-opening process. DTU will continue to fight to make sure employees return to a safe working environment and will monitor the safety of employees throughout the year.
This week you will also receive a variety of documents from the district that will address the following:
- Duval Homeroom eligibility, selection criteria and application
- Duval Virtual Instructional Academy eligibility, selection criteria and application
- Types of paid and unpaid leave available to working employees during the pandemic
- Applications for ADA accommodations for employee underlying health issues
- Signed MOU’s to date
Please keep in mind that discussions are still in progress on many, many issues. Adjustments to decisions agreed to may need to be made as the situation dictates and additional mandates come from the state and federal government.
The goals of DTU remain the same. They are:
- to maintain employment for our employees
- to keep everyone safe as they return to work
- to protect the Collective Bargaining Agreements
- to keep everyone informed on what is happening with the start of school
- to address any temporary contractual modifications that need to be made through the MOU process.
The Duval County School Board will work-shop the plan to re-open schools today. A vote on the plan will occur on Thursday.
Please continue to monitor your DCPS email for updates from DTU and DCPS.
Stay Safe and Remember:
WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!