Although we sincerely hope you never experience legal-related difficulties, we know from time to time you will: need a will, experience tenant or landlord problems, or buy a home and need assistance with the closing. For these reasons, we at DTU, one of only a few teacher locals in the country to offer members the free services of a full-time attorney; we offer members:
Full representation and protection in obtaining and keeping Tenure, continuous Service, and Civil Service rights
- Legal protection and defense when accused of unsatisfactory performance
- legal protection and defense when any complaint, from administrator, parent, child, or co-worker, is filed
- Full administrative representation when the State moves against a teaching certificate
- Contract enforcement
- Workers’ compensation
- Any problem that affects employment
- Contact Legal Services
A minimum one-hour annual legal service benefit, guaranteed:
- Real estate closing and related issues
- Wills and living wills
- County court – misdemeanors
- Civil Cases-plaintiff and defendant
- Landlord and tenant cases
- Contract and consumer cases
- Debt collection cases
- Power of Attorney
- Personal injury
- Advice and consultation
Notary Public Service
Notary services are provided free of charge to members at the DTU Headquarters. Please call before you come.
Please note: This plan does NOT include criminal charges. Assignability of this benefit, all or part, may be made to another person. The only stipulation is that the person receiving your benefit or their spouse may not be eligible for DTU membership.
To obtain these services, simply call DTU, at 396-4063.